Thursday, March 5, 2015

Crevice Corrosion

I just learned about this little nasty little thing called "Crevice Corrosion".

In an oxygen free environment (like the gasket area in my pivot pin cover) this type of corrosion will attack and eventually destroy the metal in fairly short order. Since this part is below the water line, it seems prudent to replace it with something I won't have to worry about.

I checked into the "Passivation" process and various coatings to protect the Stainless, but there's no guarantee how long that might last. Not to mention the additional cost is unjustified since I can simply substitute that part with a threaded Glass Reinforced Polypropylene Flange.

Not to mention it'll likely be quite a bit lighter as well.

It's a real pity, I had put a lot of time and money into that piece.
Oh well, that's the cost of education (or lack thereof)!

The first of many mistakes along the way I suppose...

:(

No comments:

Post a Comment